gpsd-dev

Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: Running regression tests on Ubuntu 14.04
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 20:02:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020, James Browning wrote:
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020, at 7:32 PM Fred Wright <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
So perhaps one of those is there.  Otherwise, it should be possible from
the trace to figure out exactly what it's looking for.

I think it only wants to look in /lib and /usr/lib. Installing the

That might vary as a function of the local ldconfig setup.

files libgpsdpacket.so{,.27{,.0.0}} in either location makes things
work. passing the containing directory via LD_LIBRARY_PATH makes it
work as an alternative. As a third option one could manually patch the
library directory in gps/packet.py. Finally, if it works one could
patch the gps/packet.py.in file to substitute @libdir@.

The tricky bit is making sure it works for both in-tree testing and in the final install location. It's *not* necessary for it to work under DESTDIR, though, since that's only a temporary location.

Relying on LD_LIBRARY_PATH for in-tree testing isn't completely out of the question, but should be a last resort. Relying on it for the final install should be completely forbidden.

The investigation is ongoing.

The fact that it works on my system and not his, with the exact same OS and Python versions, may be a useful data point.

Fred Wright