gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Long options?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘Long options?
Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 20:07:18 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Sat, 02 May 2020 20:21:54 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There is a request to add a ton of options to gpsrinex.  That would
> > be easy with Python argparse(), but gpsrinex is in C and no similar
> > function is availble in POSIX-land.
> >
> > Do people want long options for other things?  If so then adding an
> > argparse() function be useful all over.  But not wrth the work if
> > people are OK with plain old POSIX getopt().
>
> My quick reaction is that if just using regular (short) options is
> sane, then that's ok.  options are basically tokens you have to look
> up anyway, and thus long ones don't really help that much.  and
> gpsrinex is for people that are willing to read details anyway.

I look at gpsrinex as a place to try something new.  New to us.

The long options make examples a lot clearer:

gpsrinex -a "12324" -b "YYY" -c "Me" -d "MyCo" -e "234" -f "456" -g "A" \
         -i "543" -j "TOPDD" -k "1" -l "2" -m "3" ...

This is easier to read:

gpsrinex --marker_name "12324" --marker_type "YYY" \
         --observer "Me" --agency "MyCo"
         --rec_num "234" --rec_type "456" --rec_ver "A" \
         --ant_num "543" --ant_type "TOPDD" \
         --ant_h "1" --ant_e "2" --ant_n "3" ...

Still mud, but almost clear to someone that knows RINEX.

> That said, the fewer options the better, but I know that's easier said
> than done.

All of those above are required for PPP.  Right now the user is supposed
to edit the obs file before submitting.

getopt_long() is Linux only, but BSD has a similar getopt_long(),
which also gets us macOS.  Any lib we care about that does not have
getopt_long()?

I added a config test for the existence of getopt_long().  If we find
any targets that do not have getopt_long() then the BSD version can be
included, just as we do for strlcpy(), etc.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588