gpsd-dev

Re: gpsrinex and Trimble

From: Gerry Creager - NOAA Affiliate
Subject: Re: gpsrinex and Trimble
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 21:29:14 +0000

Yo, I believe is the appropriate salutation; it's been a long COVID...
First, a question for John: What was the antenna and where was it (indoors, outdoors, sitting on a pvc pole waving in the wind?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:23 PM Gary E. Miller <address@hidden> wrote:
Yo John!

On Tue, 5 May 2020 16:15:06 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, I was actually able to get TrimbleRTX to accept my F9P RINEX
> file created by gpsrinex.

Good.  Someone reported otherwise this week.

> It would *not* accept the one created by
> rtklib's convbin tool -- no useful explanation what was wrong, just
> unrecognized file format.

Those are called "Lassie Errors".  Content free.

Does anyone here have Timb;e contacts?

Not anymore, thankfully but let me reach out to someone who might.

> The bad news is that the results were pretty awful.  Since the results
> are just a single-page PDF, I've attached it here.  But in summary:
>
> Out of 2873 total observations, 100% were usable, but only 207 (7%)
> were used.  That raises a lot more questions than it answers...

A couple thoughts
  • Antenna wasn't stable
  • Multipath due to an inadequate antenna
  • Misrepresented as static which tightens the error criteria
  • Trimble is sometimes obnoxious in its interpretations
No thanks.  We already have enough unanswetred questions here.  :-)

> The sigmas (not clear if 1 or 2 stdevs) are 0.185m, 0.131m, and 0.066m
> for XYZ, and 0.062m, 0.195m, and 0.130m for lat/lon/height.  The
> report came with this warning:

1 sigma; Top of the column...

Which are about 10x worse than NRCan.

> Of course, those numbers don't actually appear in the report itself.

Typical Trimble.

What he said

gerry

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

Gerry Creager
NSSL/CIMMS
405.325.6371
The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.
   Walt Disney