gpsd-dev

Re: Copyright years in source code

From: Michael J. Tubby B.Sc. MIET
Subject: Re: Copyright years in source code
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 20:53:03 +0100

Hi Gary, et al

On 08/05/2020 19:10, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Sanjeev!

On Sat, 9 May 2020 00:55:08 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 3:42 AM Gary E. Miller via devel
<address@hidden> wrote:

I did this at the suggestion of Mark Atwood.  He is project head for
gpsd, NTPsec and other projects.  He also works at Amazon on
software license issues.  The MAGA have deemed that the current
copyright notices in gpsd are the way they all want it done.

Gary, my proposal was to follow what NTPsec is doing, exactly.
yes, but I partly disagree.

noted

Currently:

NTPsec: Copyright Some-Name <some-email>
GPSd: Copyright (c) Some-Year Some-Name <some-email>
Uh, no.  I removed all of the (c) in the top level of gpsd and most of
the rest.  (c) never meant anything in any legal system.

I think the year of first publication still has some use as it disambiguates
which version of copyright law applies.

Where there is Bern and WTO for un-ambiguous, world-wide, recognition of a Copyright claim my IPO lawyers inform be that best short-form for remains:

    <Item of work> is Copyright (c) <Year> by <name of organisation>. All Rights Reserved.

for example:

    SillySoft is Copyright (c) 2020 by Yoyodyne Inc. USA.  All Rights Reserved.

furthermore, some jurisdictions (especially USA) have additional clauses for Government and Military use:

    https://jenner.com/system/assets/assets/1051/original/Briefing_Papers_May_2005.pdf

over simplifying copyright claims (the current trend) could weaken your position with respect to reserved rights.

In our Standard Terms and Conditions of Business, we have been advised to include:

    21. Restricted Rights Legend (US Government)

    21.1 Any Software which is downloaded or purchased from this website for or on behalf of the United States of America, its agencies and/or instrumentalities (“U.S. Government”), is provided with Restricted Rights.

    21.2 Use, duplication, or disclosure by the U.S. Government is subject to restrictions as set forth in subparagraph (c)(1)(ii) of the Rights in Technical Data and Computer Software clause at DFARS 252.227-7013 or         subparagraphs (c)(1) and (2) of the Commercial Computer Software – Restricted Rights at 48 CFR 52.227-19, as applicable.

    21.3 The manufacturer is Yoyodyne Systems Limited.

If in doubt consult an IPO laywer.

Regards

Mike

RGDS
GARY
	address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588

Michael J Tubby B.Sc. (Hons) MIET / Technical Director
Email: address@hidden
Direct: +44 (0)1905 752892
Mobile: +44 (0)7973 225144

Thorcom Systems Limited
Office: +44 (0)1905 756 700
Unit 4, 96B Blackpole Trading Estate West, Worcester, WR3 8TJ, England, UK
Registered in England & Wales 02704696 / VAT Number GB487925681

This email and any attachments to it may be confidential or legally privileged and are intended solely the individual to whom it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not take any action based upon its contents or disclose its contents to any third-party.
This email footer is intended to identify the sender and does not constitute a signature or agreement to enter into any form of legally binding contract.
While the author has taken reasonable care in the preparation of this email Errors and Omissions Excepted (E&OE).
Any views or opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Thorcom Systems Limited.