gpsd-dev

Re: ubxtool -- setting DYNMODEL

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: ubxtool -- setting DYNMODEL
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 21:16:02 -0400

On 5/8/20 8:16 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:
> "Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Thanks!  Now I can get on to testing performance of GPS only vs.
>>> GPS+GLONASS.
>>
>> Will a few mm either way affect hams?
>
> I don't think that's the right question.   Particularly as one has poor
> sky visibility, I suspect having more satellites really helps.
>
> Also, if your goal is to measure ionospheric TEC, then more satellites
> means more angles that you can measure.

I think two related things, really:

1.  Because the F9* don't do L2 unless the satellite supports L2C,
adding GLONASS adds more satellites into the mix to get more usable
epochs in the data.  (Right now, 20 of the 31 operational SVs have L2C,
so you have a good change of some non-usable observations in each epoch.
 As more new birds go up, that will get better.)

2.  And as Greg said, for TEC you get more angles.  And measuring TEC is
one of the goals of our project.

73,
John