gpsd-dev

Re: Copyright years in source code

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Copyright years in source code
Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 19:47:25 -0700

Yo Mark!

On Sat, 09 May 2020 18:36:47 -0700
"Mark Atwood" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there any question for me to answer in this thread?

Not unless you just got a law degree.  :-)

> I dont considering myself controlling of the gpsd project.  Does the
> gpsd project want me to be?

If you could replace ISC and bring money, then, yes.

> One of the reason for simplifying the text of the copyright
> statements in this way is because if the day ever does come that
> there is actually is a copyright lawsuit

Then I run away, fast.  Unless you have some Pro-Bono copyright lawyers
you can send our way.

> Scrub the dates.  Use the text "Copyright the contributors of the
> GPSD project".

Pretty much done, but I did leave the year of 1st pub in there.
Legally dubious, but it looks nice.

> Put SPDX-License-Identifiers in.

I think that is done everywhere with a copyright.

A lot of people use our code.  That was the original intent, sp not like
we are protectings anything.  We are just making it easier for people to
use the code with a clean conscience.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588