gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ubxtool

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘ubxtool
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 20:12:35 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 20:03:30 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jul 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> > Good grief.   Yet another project has a program called ubxyool;
> >
> >    https://github.com/ahuPowerDNS/galmon
> >
> > Is it time to rename ubxtool to gpxubx?  Or?
>
> No strong opinions here.  Is the 'gpx' a typo, or intentional (with
> precedent) to make collisions less likely?  I'm actually surprised
> that there haven't been more collisions with the 'gps' prefix, given
> that 'gps' is pretty generic.

Yeah, a typo.  I meant gpsubx.

A duckduckgo search for ubxtool, #1:

    https://www.mankier.com/1/ubxtool

But 4 of the top 6 are gpsd.io.

Google is better, 10 out of 10 are the gpsd ubxtool.

So prolly worth keeping the name.

> Using 'gps' as the library names was probably especially ill-advised,
> but it can't be fixed now without breaking things.

But so far no known collisions on gpsd or libgps.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588