gpsd-dev

Re: gpsprof: higher resolution

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: gpsprof: higher resolution
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 11:29:13 -0400

John Ackermann N8UR <jra@febo.com> writes:

> I just did a test of a u-blox M8P with very high quality RTK (data
> from same antenna) and high precision (seven decimal place) NMEA
> output. Running 12 hours of results through gpsprof yields CEP of a
> few millimeters; very cool!

Do you mean you used a splitter, and some other antenna to make an RTK
feed, via ntrip, and then received that feed with gpsd and squirted it
into the receiver, and the M8P did the RTK processing?   If so, posting
the recipe would probably be interesting to many.

It sounds like you are logging NMEA, vs ublox binary via gpsd.  True?  I
am curious why (not challenging; expecting to learn something).

I am also curious if you have compared M8P internal RTK to rtklib.

> But the gpsprof plot isn't very useful; see attached. I'm guessing
> that I'm running up against some limit that prevents getting a proper
> scale for the very small values.
>
> If someone can provide me a pointer to a likely place to hack gpsprof
> to allow mm level scaling, I'm happy to go in and try it.

Smells like a fixed limit, but other than "skim the whole code", no
useful advice.