gpsd-dev

Re: gpsprof: higher resolution

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: gpsprof: higher resolution
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 12:59:17 -0700

gerry.creager@noaa.gov said:
> Also, a caveat I'm sure you're aware of, is before you simply average your
> NMEA data, decimate it to reduce the impact of autocorrelation in the
> standard position output.

Could you please say more.  That sounds like something I should understand but
I don't get it.

What does "decimate" mean in that context?  Do I just throw away 9 out of 10
samples?  Or average blocks of 10 then take their average?  The latter sounds
like a dodge for numerical precision.  My back of the envelope says it should
fit in a double.

How does autocorrelation get involved and/or how does it screw things up?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.