gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpscsv

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpscsv
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 09:31:00 -0700

Yo Andreas!

On Tue, 18 Aug 2020 09:17:17 +0200
Andreas B <panden@gmail.com> wrote:

> I like it. Any idea why time is not included in the -c SKY output?

I found, and fixed, that bug just before you sent your email.  The
u-blox driver was not setting skyview_time from mUBX-NAV-SAT or
UBX-NAV-SVINFO.  So no time to put in the SKY.  The u-blox driver does
now.

Look at the current gpsgsv code at the top for an example of a
working SKY.  More changes in the pipe for today, so a moving target.

I expect to uncover a lot more oddities with gpsgsv...

> Is there any way to get number of sats seen and number of sats used
> out of this?

The JSON is documented in "man gpsd_json".  If you look, there is not
JSON for number of sats.  The client is supposed to compute it from
the "satellites" array in the SKY message.

In general I do not like sending easily derived values with the raw
data.  They always seem to get out of sync with the raw data.  And no
one ever asked for simple number of sats before.

I have not figured out what to do with that "satellites" array.

Very much a work in progress so the way forward is unclear.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588