gpsd-dev

Re: moving to 8 digits of lat/lon (gpxlogger, maybe elsewhere)?

From: John Ackermann N8UR
Subject: Re: moving to 8 digits of lat/lon (gpxlogger, maybe elsewhere)?
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2020 15:36:46 -0400

On 9/3/20 3:29 PM, Greg Troxel wrote:

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

Yo Greg!

On Thu, 03 Sep 2020 15:09:24 -0400
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

Maybe this is crazy, but I see that the json already does %.9f deg and
%.3f meters.  I am inclined to basically increase precision of all
consumers of that, and not try to go to 0.1mm vertical.

The F9P reports it, gpsd should pass it on.

Does the F9P really report 0.1mm for vertical?

I happened to have the interface manual opened to the HPPOSLLH page and yup, it does. The height field is in millimeters, the heightHP field is an integer that you multiply by 0.1 and add to the height field to get 0.1 mm resolution.

And I looked at some actual data and that's what the data indeed is. 0.1 mm resolution for height is maybe a wee bit optimistic :-) but that's what they give us.

John

John