gpsd-dev

Re: TODO item

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: TODO item
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2020 08:29:13 -0400

Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0@gmail.com>:
> Eric,
>
> In 2015,you added to TODO:
>
> **** Reporting code for specialized Type 6 and 8 AIS messages is incomplete.
>
> This one is mine and Kurt Schwehr's. Support is currently nearly
> complete; the only missing cases are a handful of IMO 236 and IMO 289
> message 6 and 8 subtypes - specifically, 6/23, 8/21, 8/22, 8/24, and
> 8/26.
>
> Is this complete?  Still needed?

You said "nearly complete" just now, so no.  Those missing subtypes
have been a pain in my ass for years.

> Is anyone using gpsd for AIS?

I've heard of a couple of deployments.  I can't put my fonfer on them, though.
I should have kept a list.

The one I remenber the most deyails about was a company using
sarelllites in lEO to aggregate AIS data worldwide for
commercial-intelligence purposes. They sent me a thank-you note, which
is nice but I would have preferred money.