gpsd-dev

ele tag in gpxlogger, specs, confusion

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: ele tag in gpxlogger, specs, confusion
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2020 10:53:16 -0400

(I don't remember if I said this here, but I don't find my mail if I
did.)

gpxlogger has comments about WGS84, and ele being HAE.  However, I am
getting ele values that look like WGS84 orthometric height (height above
geoid, ~"sea level height").  And, I believe GPX ele tag has always been
meant to be orthometric height, as no one actually uses HAE, and
navigation receivers output orthometric height in NMEA, not HAE.

I raised this issue on the GPX protocol list, and will let you know if
anything useful results from that.