gpsd-dev

Re: ✘python shebang, yet again

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘python shebang, yet again
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2020 07:53:17 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 19:50:36 -0700 (PDT)
> Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:
>
>> 3) A relative path (though this would be pretty weird).
>
> Yes, weird.

I don't think relative paths make sense.

>> 3) Otherwise (i.e. it contains os.path.sep but doesn't start with
>> it), then consider it to be a relative path.  Convert it to an
>> absolute path and use it as in #2.
>
> As you say, that is weird, but common with cross-building.  In that case
> you do not want the cross-build python in the shebang.

With cross, you have to be able to specify a path on the target, to be
used at runtime on the target.

If python is used during the build, then one also has to be able to
specify a host_python, to be used for build steps.

But that's all separate from this discussion.

> If someone wants a wwird case they can use python_shebang.

Agreed.  No need to address 100% of odd cases before progress.

Other than "relative paths in target_python should do X", I think we all
agree.  My vote for relative paths in target_python is to throw an
error, but as I consider it invalid input, I don't care what happens for
that input :-)