gpsd-dev

Re: gpsd autobaud and cpu usage

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: Re: gpsd autobaud and cpu usage
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2020 09:33:00 +0300

Hey Gary!

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 05:40:29PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> 8 speeds, times 2 seconds per test, times 3 parity (E, N, O) times
> 1 stop bits (0, 1, 2).

Is there any UART hardware that's really using anything but 1 stop bit
_by default_? I can imagine someone could reconfigure some receivers
to use 2 stop bits (and that would be an odd and uncommon idea so
probably not worth including in the auto-probing at all), but I
haven't ever saw UART equipment that worked without stop bits
altogether.

Also, since you have plenty of experience with different receivers,
can you tell what parity is more common, even or odd (my guess it's
odd)? So if auto-bauding is to be optimised it probably makes sense to
first probe all common rates without parity, then with odd, and only
after that with even. And always assume one stop bit since it's the
only sane way for the current era's UARTs?

mailto:fercerpav@gmail.com