gpsd-dev

Re: Timing via serial port

From: O'Connor, Daniel
Subject: Re: Timing via serial port
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 21:38:21 +0930

> On 30 Sep 2020, at 18:28, Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net> wrote:
> Has anybody tested various GPS devices to see how good the timing via the
> serial port is?
>
> Some of the NMEA sentences have sub-second time stamps.  Are any of them
> useful?
>
> Has anybody looked at whether the front of the sentence (or burst) has better
> timing than the end?

I would say it depends how tight your requirements are.
I setup USB serial to a GPS engine and fed NTP with it and it seemed quite good
- certainly NTP was happy to use it and all the numbers look good.

I imagine it would also depend a lot on your hardware and OS as to what sort of
jitter you would get.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."