gpsd-dev

Re: ✘python shebang, yet again

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘python shebang, yet again
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2020 08:48:34 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> Took a while as I had some typos in my (not part of gpsd) build
>> script. But after fixing things on my end that needed fixing, I get a
>> clean build setting target_python to /usr/pkg/bin/python3.7, and that
>> is substituted into the scripts' shebang line.
>
> Is that a real path?  I do not see that in the FHS.

Yes, that's entirely real.  On NetBSD the base system is in /usr, as
it's been since the beginning, and pkgsrc is in /usr/pkg, to be kept
separate.  There's very little in base, beyond the things you would have
had with 4.2BSD.  FreeBSD is similar, but their ports go in /usr/local.
I'm not clear on the paths used for OpenBSD and Dragonfly, but packaging
systems do not build to /usr.  I am aware of only Linux that doesn't do
it more or less this way.

As for FHS, as I understand it, that's a GNU/Linux thing and not at all
relevant to non-Linux.

But, I passed the right path for my system, and it was followed, so
things are good.

>> So it all looks good to me.  Thanks for doing this.
>
> Glad to help.  Now I have been moving clients into clients/ to de-clutter
> the top level git directory.

Sounds good.  I'll get around to testing a bit and with any luck the
moved stuff and build changes will all just work...