gpsd-dev

Re: gpsd | Pipeline #200139571 has failed for master | 71f2b070

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: gpsd | Pipeline #200139571 has failed for master | 71f2b070
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 19:53:56 +0200

On 10/15/20 9:59 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> Check my first email on this topic.

Checked it, can't see how that proves your point.
Looking at the timestamps in the CI it takes about an hour for build
*AND* test now. Its proven that testing takes around 46 minutes at
least, so the build might take 15 Minutes. Which is perfectly fine,
given that it runs on a machine with old cpus and not much ram.

>>> Which fixed persistent FreeBSD failures.  There is some serious flaw
>>> in the FreeBSD kernel.  Slow, or correct, choose one.
>>
>> Nobody every figured it out if the issue is in the kernel or in the
>> gpsd code. Or both. Or in Python. Or libc.
>
> Of course we do not know where the problem is, toerhwise it would be
> fixed. But is sure seems to vary by kernel type (FreeBAD, Linux), so it
> sure feels like a kernel problem to me.  Feel free to show me where the
> problem is.

You are also using different libc implementations. Maybe different
Python code. You are guessing, nothing more.

>> If you have a trivial and reproducible way to trigger the issue,
>> please show me. So far it happens just random.
>
> Easy, just reduce WRITE_PAD on FreeBAD.  Fails every time in the CI.

Lol. Please don't tell me you are not understanding what I meant.
I'm talking about 10-20 lines of code in whatever language you like that
shows that problem. Do you really think I should open a bug at some
random place telling that some random piece somewhere in Freebsd breaks
randomly while testing several thousand lines of c with a lot of weird
Python?

And no, reducing WRITE_PAD doesn't make it fail always. I've spent
enough time on it, it does not always fail.