gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Major build change pushed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘Major build change pushed
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2020 16:03:47 -0800

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 15:48:08 -0800
Hal Murray <hmurray@megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> gem@rellim.com said:
> > I should copy that file for gpsd.  I keep forgetting the .pth
> > option.
>
> We should update it to cover Python 3 before you copy it.

Just change python2 to python3.  Simple.  I would hope most users
could do that in their heads.  Vain hope?

> How many distros are still using Python 2?

Pretty much all of the.  Chrome, Firefox and Kodi need Python 2.

> If you copy it, we should set things up so the same text covers both
> uses and add a section about both places that reminds people to
> update both when they edit things.  My copy hasn't changed since
> early 2019 so it shouldn't be hard to keep them in sync.

The ntpsec to gpsd change is waf -> scons.  The rest is good.

> > That file neglects to mention that Python looks in the pwd first.
>
> We should probably describe how the testing environment works.  I
> think there is a link from the tools build directory over to the
> library build directory so if you cd to the tools build directory you
> can test them and that will also use the new libraries.

No longer.  I removed all the links.  The links confused scons.  Now
you either install gpsd and use the system modules, or run in the build
directory (currently gpsd-3.21~dev).

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588