gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Major build change pushed

From: James Browning
Subject: Re: ✘Major build change pushed
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2020 07:36:35 -0800

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020, at 5:50 AM Martin Laabs <Martin.Laabs@tu-dresden.de> wrote:
Hi,

It could be handled similarly to numpy where the c-libraries are compiled
by pip during the installation. There is of cause a risk that the pip
module has an incompatible library version to the gpsd installed in the
system - but this could be checked by the python module with an appropriate
warning.

Some of them may break, but it is a risk I will make them take.

How many dependencies are between the library
and the python module? Any chance to make a small subset or a
re-implementation in pure python?

Pretty much just the one class in libgpsdpacket. I will not be porting it to Python. I suspect no one else will either. There is a post (http://xrl.us/p0ny) regarding XML and shell tools that pretty much sums up my opinion.

libgps is another library that exists but is not part of this conversation.