gpsd-dev

Re: ✘Time for 3.22?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘Time for 3.22?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 10:31:28 -0800

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 21:16:24 -0800 (PST)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020, Gary E. Miller wrote:
>
> >> Thanks.  A few more days is fine.
> >
> > Any progress testing git head?
>
> I've only managed to do basic build/check testing so far, though
> across all the platforms I normally test.  The one problem so far is
> that some platforms don't have a sufficiently recent SCons to include
> the CheckProg() function.

Ugh.  Any platforms we care about?  What version scons does not have it?

> I'm not convinced that a configure check for tar is even necessary,
> since in the majority of cases, tar isn't even used, and if one does
> try to use it when it doesn't exist, the error from the OS should be
> pretty self-explanatory.

Sadly the tar check is needed.  Before the check, if tar wass not present
the scons would crash and do nothing.  An scons that can do nothing is
not good.

> If it were trying to locate a default tar
> program under multiple possible names, some equivalent of CheckProg()
> would be needed, but I don't see any code trying to do that.

If you look closer at the code, you will set that it is in fact looking
for several tar variants.  The trick is the TAR variable which is set by
scons to what it found.  Perversely, the TAR variable is set even
when no tar is found, but then crashes scons when it is used in a rule.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588