gpsd-dev

Re: Android and NME2000

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Android and NME2000
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 15:58:40 -0800

Yo Christian!

On Sat, 19 Dec 2020 12:44:02 +1300
Christian Gagneraud <chgans@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working for https://navico.com, we're launching a new series of
> devices based on Android.

Cool!

> We have our own data stack for this device (which doesn't use gpsd).
> As an experiment i want to create an alternative ROM for demo
> purposes.

So many ROMs, so little time.

> I know gpsd was used on Android phones,

In theory, we think that, but in pratice we have not been able to identify
any particular modules tha actually use gpsd.  AOSP does not.

> I'm not sure if it
> is still in use. Does anyone know what the current status is?

An android Makefile was added to gpsd in early 2019.  Adam Serbinski
<adam@serbinski.com> has worked on it.  But it is likely bit-rotted
right now.  Any problems should be easy to fix.

> Back in the day when I contributed to the AIS code (10 years ago or
> so), there were a few guys focusing on NME2000, does anyone know what
> is the current status of NME2000 in gpsd?

We still get bug reports about NMEA2000, so some people are using it.
Not a lot of active developemtn on it.

Feel free to test and submit your findings.

Good to know gmail is working again...

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588