gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 15:14:09 -0800

Yo James!

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:06:05 -0800
James Browning <jamesb.fe80@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021, at 12:34 PM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com>
> wrote:
>
> > root should only be used when root is needed.  Keep the attack
> > surface as small as possible.
> >

> If only there were a tool I could use to invoke root power for a
> single command without summoning legions of hate monsters. Oh drat,
> sudo would not work for that.

a) not relevant to the ubxtool howto. A single command is not enough.

b) sudo does NOT invoke root power, only part of it.

c) "su -" does what you want.  With a terrrible two extra characters
required!

What you really want, if I may try to read your mind, is to avoid
entering the root password every time.

> Crud, I was staying out of this cesspool deliberately. You could pry
> sudo from my cold dead hands. (but only to keep it from the innocent.)
> I've heard the sermon(s) as well.

May I suggest that when you login, open one terminal window as root.
Then run all commands in there.  Yu will find that is:

1) more secure.
2) faster.  Especially for commands more than 1 line long.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588