gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 10:15:21 -0800

Yo Sanjeev!

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 11:15:31 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0@gmail.com> wrote:

>    1. Default should be no man building

People complain when I change the defaults.  So it has to be for a good
reason.

>    2. If manbuild=no, then we are at case #1

I would just say that no means no.

>    3. If manbuild=yes, than if asciidoctor is not available, hard fail

Which fixes your issue.

> #3 is from the principle of least surprise.  If I say I want docs,and
> scons can't do that, fail loudly.

I'm inclinded to Gregs solution, change the default to manbuild=auto.
Then no means no, and yes means yes.  And it keeps existing
default behavior.

Building the doc is very fast, so little downside to building it if
AsciiDoctor is installed.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588