gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 12:59:05 -0800

gem@rellim.com said:
>>    1. Default should be no man building
> People complain when I change the defaults.  So it has to be for a good
> reason.

Setting the default to no for man pages seems wrong to me.

How many types of users are there?

I assume many (most?) people get gpsd via a package from their distro.  I
assume the distro is smart enough to include man pages and smart enough to
figure out how to build them if the defaults are wrong.  So the default
doesn't matter much for this case.  (except for maybe annoying packagers when
it changes)

I assume a few people, developers and testers, many who are on this list,
build their own.  They can adapt to whatever the defaults are.

The rare case is somebody who builds from source, for whatever reason, but
doesn't get involved enough to figure out all the options and what they do.  I
think we really want these people to get the man pages by default.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.