gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 17:38:05 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Mon, 01 Feb 2021 20:07:49 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>
> > Works for me.  I do " scons -c && scons && scons dist".
> >
> > That not work for you?
>
> That works fine.  What I meant is a scheme to e.g. generate man pages
> when making a distfile, and then when building from the distfile using
> those pre-built man pages if hte tool isn't there.

Are you sure?  Please verify your procedure because that should work
fine.

> By accident, I tried to use slightly old gpsd to build in pkgsrc, a
> version that is asciidoctor only, without my accomodation to find our
> asciidoctor.  man pages were not built and no pre-built ones were
> installed (which is ok).

And the letest version is also AsciiDoctor only.  That is the exact
case for manbuild=true.

> >> Overall, unless a tool is painful (because it's in a non-portable
> >> language like Haskell or Java, which this isn't, or because it uses
> >> QT, which requires many hours of CPU time to build), I lean to just
> >> requiring the tool and keeping the world simpler.
> >
> > I find installing AsciiDoctor on Raspberry Pi3 to be very painful.
> > No way I want that to be not possible.
>
> Perfectly OK with me to have the option.  I just forced manbuild=yes
> in my build script.

And everyone is happy.

> On a RPI3 Model B with a slow spining disk and without ruby,
> configured to do builds with one job only to optimize for heat, I
> built the asciidoctor package from source (hence forcing the build of
> ruby 2.6). It took:
>
>   real    56m51.224s
>   user    42m55.768s
>   sys     12m3.168s

Ouch.  Plus a lot of disk space.

I don't worry about the heat, so I build in parallel.

> and to install the binary package an additional
>
>   real    0m21.314s
>   user    0m7.192s
>   sys     0m3.763s
>
> Basically 4 minutes for libyaml, 50 for ruby and 3 for asciidoctor.
> Only 25% of what cmake takes :-(

> So I can see why you don't want to build it.

Yes, 50 mins to install is too much for me.  Plus the disk space used, plus
the very frequent ruby updates.  And I don't need man pages on every host.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588