gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 17:07:05 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

> Yo Greg!
>
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:03:15 -0500
> Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
>
>> After unpacking, I made two changes to my (working with man build)
>> pkgsrc setup:
>>
>>   In SConscript, look for asciidoctor26fail, so it won't be found
>>   (because that seemed easier than uninstalling it).
>>
>>   pass manbuild=auto
>
> Why not "manbuild=yes"?

Because I would then get a fail because of no asciidoctor.

Earlier I wrote that building from a distfile with no asciidoctor
resulted in no man pages being installed, and you questioned if I did it
right.

>> The check for asciidoctor fails, and adoc_prog is Null.  Everything
>> builds but the as-shipped built man pages are not installed and I can
>> see this in line 2310 of SConscript that the install is conditioned on
>> the build.
>
> As expected.

It is expected that asciidoctor is not invoked.

What is less clear is whether the gpsd.8 and so on files that were
created during the build that led to tarball creation should be
installed, or not.  If they are not supposed to be installed by an
asciidoctor-less build, then they should not be in the distfile.

>> This is what I mean about schemes to maybe build maybe not and install
>> pre-built things from distfiles being tricky.
>
> Yes, packaging is hard.

I know, really.

But it's not packaging that is trouble here, it is the behavior of the
gpsd tarball creation abd build system.

>> When you  make a tarball on a system with asciidoctor, and unpack and
>> build it on a system without, and install, do you get installed man
>> pages?
>
> Dunno, Give it a try.

I just did and the email you replied to says that the man pages were in
the distfile but not installed by 'scons install'.

So:

  do you think the gpsd build system is supposed to install man pages
  that existed in the distfile, when there is no asciidoctor?

  If yes, how is this supposed to work?

  If no, why are those files in the distfile?