gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2021 14:35:05 -0800

Yo Greg!

On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 17:07:05 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:
>
> > Yo Greg!
> >
> > On Tue, 02 Feb 2021 11:03:15 -0500
> > Greg Troxel <gdt@lexort.com> wrote:
> >
> >> After unpacking, I made two changes to my (working with man build)
> >> pkgsrc setup:
> >>
> >>   In SConscript, look for asciidoctor26fail, so it won't be found
> >>   (because that seemed easier than uninstalling it).
> >>
> >>   pass manbuild=auto
> >
> > Why not "manbuild=yes"?
>
> Because I would then get a fail because of no asciidoctor.
>
> Earlier I wrote that building from a distfile with no asciidoctor
> resulted in no man pages being installed, and you questioned if I did
> it right.

No, I questioned what you did.  I have no idea what you did.

How to I duplicate what you did?

> >> The check for asciidoctor fails, and adoc_prog is Null.  Everything
> >> builds but the as-shipped built man pages are not installed and I
> >> can see this in line 2310 of SConscript that the install is
> >> conditioned on the build.
> >
> > As expected.
>
> It is expected that asciidoctor is not invoked.
>
> What is less clear is whether the gpsd.8 and so on files that were
> created during the build that led to tarball creation should be
> installed, or not.  If they are not supposed to be installed by an
> asciidoctor-less build, then they should not be in the distfile.

Seems to me if you build from the tarball that the prebuilt man pages
would be installed.  I have no idea if this is the case as I never do that.

> >> This is what I mean about schemes to maybe build maybe not and
> >> install pre-built things from distfiles being tricky.
> >
> > Yes, packaging is hard.
>
> I know, really.
>
> But it's not packaging that is trouble here, it is the behavior of the
> gpsd tarball creation abd build system.

So I'll ask again, what did you do that did not work as you expected.
And what would you like it to do.

> >> When you  make a tarball on a system with asciidoctor, and unpack
> >> and build it on a system without, and install, do you get
> >> installed man pages?
> >
> > Dunno, Give it a try.
>
> I just did and the email you replied to says that the man pages were
> in the distfile but not installed by 'scons install'.

Sorry, If I saw that I do not recall.  Can you send me your test
procedure?

>   do you think the gpsd build system is supposed to install man pages
>   that existed in the distfile, when there is no asciidoctor?

Dunno.  I never tested it, but seems like a good idea.

>   If yes, how is this supposed to work?

Dunno.

>   If no, why are those files in the distfile?

Because people want them?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588