gpsd-dev

Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘asciidoc vs asciidoctor, issue #118
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 08:30:41 -0500

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> > It is installed in gpsd-3.22.1~dev/www, as expected.  That is where
>> > the GitLab web pages expect it.  So as intended and as expected.
>>
>> "installed", as in put in the destdir by "scons install"?  Or just
>> existing in the build directory?  It is not part ofthe pkgsrc pakcage
>> because it has not showed up in the destdir after the install step.
>
> hardware.html is "installed" as in put into the build directory:
> gpsd-3.22.1~dev/www.  That is the final destination for the web files.
> The only consumer of them is GitLab.
>
> It should not go in any package, or go to the destdir.  Users have no
> use for the www files.  Only GitLab uses them.

That's fine.  But that's not "installed", which is the step run by "make
install" or equivalent that takes built things from the buidl dir and
puts them in destdir.

> I guess some of the www files could go in /usr/share/gpsd.  But who
> expects html there?  And what good would it be?

If you want people to be able to read them offline, then they can be in
$prefix/share/doc/gpsd/html or $prefix/share/doc/gpsd.   But I don't
really care if they are installed or not - I was just trying to make
sure the pkgsrc package wasn't leaving them out when you thought they
were being put in destdir.

> One could make the argument that the web pages should be a separate
> git repository.  NTPsec keeps www in a separate git repo.  But so much
> of gpsd www is html colpies of the man apges that the separate repo
> seems excessive to me.

I agree that the (churn+work)/benefit ratio is too low.