gpsd-dev

Re: Gpsd and ModemManager

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Gpsd and ModemManager
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2021 10:22:52 -0800

Yo Tuukka!

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 15:38:25 +0200
Tuukka Pasanen <pasanen.tuukka@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been wondering is there a way to make gpsd to consume
> ModemManager emited D-bus NMEA messages?

There is always a way, but you would have to code it.  gpsd can get
NMEA from files, local devices, remotely with TCP, etc.  But it is
not currently a D-Bus consumer.

> I know I can say to
> ModemManager that I like to use this port and don't take control of
> it but as I like ModemManager is nice I like to open discussion
> how-to co-exist.

I have never used ModemManager and never saw a reason for it to exist.
I've used 110 baud modems and a lot of later generations. YMMV.

How about give us the 50,000 foot view of your problem?  What sort of
GPS device do you have the gpsd can not just read directly?

> One way I was thinking was making somekind on stdout printing app and
> use socat to create pseudo serialport but it's kind of ugly.

Something similar has been done before, but if you have data in stdout,
why do you need ModemManager or D-Bus integration?  Just have gpsd read
that stdout.

> Another
> option would be add direct support for it but that sound pretty big
> job. I like to ask am I only one with this kind of problem?

I can only speak for myself, but I see no reason to integrate with
ModemManager.  And some negatives, like increased laency and loss of
some functionality (autobaud).

Any that likes the idea should speak up, and maybe help code it.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588