gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsinfo

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsinfo
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:37:51 -0700

Yo Bernd!

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 01:24:42 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 3/15/21 12:57 AM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Yo All!
> >
> > It gets tedious when users asked, simple questions about their
> > installations, fail to respond.
> >
> > To address that, a simple script: gpsclient.  It should not leak any
> > Personally Identifiable Info (PII), but answer the usual basics.
>
> gpsclient gives wrong expections about what it is for imho.

You misread that, I said gpsinfo, in the clients/ tree of the source.

> gpsd-debuginfo or something like that sounds better imho.

That is better.

> > Here is a first cut.  Suggestions?
> >
> > ~ $ cat clients/gpsinfo
> > #! /bin/sh
> >
> > set -x
> > id
> > uname -a
>
> add lsb_release -a

No longer present on Gentoo, or many newer distros.  I added this:

cat /etc/*release

> > which gpsd
> > gpsd -V
> > netstat -apn | fgrep :2947
>
> netstat is not being installed by default anymore, its deprecated for
> good.

Huh, says it right there on the man page.  News to me.  Good catch.

> ss is the default tool on linux.

Hmm, I'll have to play with that.

Would an old distro, like RHEL, have ss?

> > ps ax | fgrep gpsd
> > which gpspipe
> > gpspipe -V
> > gpspipe -w -n 2
> > python -V
>
> do the same for python3 and check which of them is able to import the
> module.

Oh, yeah.  I forget how Debian does not conform to PEPs.  Good catch.

Version 2 in a bit.  Thanks for the look over.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588