gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsinfo

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsinfo
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 19:08:34 -0700

Yo Chris!

Check clients/gpsdebuginfo in git head.

On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 18:57:06 -0700
Chris Kuethe <chris.kuethe@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2021 at 5:25 PM Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>
> > netstat is not being installed by default anymore, its deprecated
> > for good.
> >
> > ss is the default tool on linux.
> >

> Why not check for both ss and netstat because not everything is linux
> (though I'm guessing that's where most of the problems come from)?

Done in git head:

    # use netstat or ss, depending
    if [ `which netstat` ]; then
        netstat -apn | fgrep ':2947 '
    elif [ `which ss` ]; then
        ss -apn | fgrep ':2947 '
    fi

> Oh, I've got a couple of openwrt machines right here that have
> netstat but not ss. Hm, has anyone been brave enough to try gpsd
> under WSL?

Yes, not me.

> Since I'm looking, there might be files like /etc/openwrt_release,
> /etc/os-release, ... I'm sure there are others

Turns out there are almost a hundred flavors of /etc/*release...

The script now does:

    cat /etc/*release

> As for privacy protections - what about replacing IP addresses other
> than 0.0.0.0 and 127.* with X's? I could imagine people complaining
> about exposing their real RFC1918 addresses.

That hurts my head.  Patches welcome.

> What's the point of
> netstat - checking that gpsd is listening and whether it's on
> localhost or not, right?

1) is gpsd running at all?
2) is gpsd running as root?
3) is gpsd listening on the proper porrt?
4) is gpsd listening on IPv6?
5) has sytemd(umb) stolen the port from gpsd?

Some overlap with the "ps ax" output.

> would it be worth also checking systemd, to see if it's doing
> something especially insane?

Is systemd(rool) ever not insane?  Item 5 above is a backdoor into that.
Suggestions on systemd(runken) welcome, as long as I don't need to get my
hands dirty.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588