gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsinfo

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘gpsinfo
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:52:06 -0700

Yo Frank!

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 19:30:02 -0400
Frank Nicholas <frank@nicholasfamilycentral.com> wrote:

> I’m not sure I buy that launchd inspired systemd.  Launchd does not
> try to usurp any other system functions, unlike systemd.

I'm just going by what I thought I heard.  Can't find the source now.
But Wikipedia says this on the launchd page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launchd

systemd: similar utility developed by Red Hat for use among various
mainline Linux distributions

Less authoritative:

https://christitus.com/macos-sysadmin-tips/

"The init portion of systemd is heavily modeled after launchd, but
unlike systemd, launchd isn’t ..."

And just random innertoob blather:

https://www.reddit.com/r/initFreedom/

"Yes, systemd was created because of an Apple fanboy who was obsessed
with launchd, "

> If you Mac was upgraded to Big Sur and did not have enough free disk
> space, the initial installer was poorly written, and tried to do the
> update anyway.  No excuses for this, but this is a known bug that has
> been resolved.  You can always boot the Mac mini from the internet
> with the right hotkeys & install the OS.  Mac startup key
> combinations <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201255>

Trying that now.  Fingers crossed.

> Or did you really mean “bricked”?  I doubt an OS update did that…

Safe mode was broken, but recovery mode started.  So not bricked.  Will
see how far I get...

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588