gpsd-dev

Re: Building gpsd on mips big endian

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: Re: Building gpsd on mips big endian
Date: Mon, 10 May 2021 10:13:26 +0800

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 7:23 AM Gary E. Miller <gem@rellim.com> wrote:

> obviously code should work on any system
> that complies to C99 and the bits of POSIX we need.  If it's merely
> surprise at someone paying attention to odd arches, I understand.

"obviously" gpsd should support big-endian.  Actually making that
happen is not so easy.  C99 is clear that much of C99 is implementation
dependent.

gpsd has a lot of code solely for the purpose of supporting big endian.
Any of it could be affected by bit rot when untested.

That is precisely why I am doing it.  And my main server in the pool is 32-bit x86, which I plan to run till 2038, just to make sure that this stays supported (as long as it is claimed to be supported).  And it runs debian testing.

I have tried for years (3+) to get cheap big-endian hardware with a RS232 serial port, just so that I could throw that into the pool and see what happens.

ntpsec should not be an issue (IMHO), but I think gpsd has to handle more quirks.

I will continue with git head on mipsbe once a month or so.  Now that I am getting familiar with it, lets see if any other architectures are claimed to be supported, and fire them up.

--
Sanjeev