gpsd-dev

Re: Is libusb required?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Is libusb required?
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 08:55:53 -0400

"Gary E. Miller" <gem@rellim.com> writes:

>> Which, to my mind, implies that I do not need it.
>
> Correct.  BSD has no libusb, and works fine with gpsd.  Only the
> Garmin driver ever uses libusb.  libusb could be used for better device
> detection, but no one has submitted any ideas for that.

a nit here:

BSD systems have a very lean base, and NetBSD does not have libusb in
base (and very probably the others but I haven't checked recently).
However, libusb is available in pkgsrc and routinely used.   So it
exists in the same way as it does on GNU/Linux where it is also (like
everything) within some sort of packaging system.  The pkgsrc gpsd
package does depend on libusb.

I don't mean to question anything else you said.  FWIW, the hacky script
I used to build does a full clean first, because I find scons caches way
too much state.