gpsd-dev

Re: Is libusb required?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Is libusb required?
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 13:59:44 -0700

Yo Sanjeev!

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 22:18:14 +0800
Sanjeev Gupta <ghane0@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Unless, maybe you removed the package for tests, and forgot the run
> > "scons -c" to get a fresh configuration?
> >

> Gary, you are right, I did have libusb installed.  scons was looking
> for libusb-dev.

I hate it when distros split packages in their own unique and bizarre
ways.  "Disk" space is now so cheap, expending human capital to save a
few bytes has a very low return on investment.

Is there a way to detect that the "dev" parts are, or are not,
installed?

SConscript uses CheckPkG to see if libusb-1.0 is installed:

    if config.CheckPKG('libusb-1.0'):

That just runs:
     pkg-config --exists 'libusb-1.0'

The pkg-config man page says:

    "The pkg-config program is used to retrieve information about installed
    libraries in the system.  It is typically used to compile and link
    against one or more libraries. "

Why would pkg-config return true for exists if the package can mot
be "compile and link"?

> Installed that, scons -c, all good.  So far.

The orininal questions was the reverse.  Can gpsd be build without
libusb being installed.  Can you confirm that as well?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588