gpsd-dev

Re: ✘3.23~rc1 -- gpxlogger

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘3.23~rc1 -- gpxlogger
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2021 16:39:47 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Tue, 3 Aug 2021 15:47:54 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2021, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2021 20:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
> > Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> >> What I see now is:
> >>
> >> Running with no args and no gpsd running exits 1 with no message.
> >
> > Good.
> >
> > But, the message is in the syslog.  All gpxlogger messages go into
> > the syslof.
>
> If it's not in daemon mode, messages should go to the terminal.
> Syslog is for daemons et al.

I agree, but the guy that wrote that is gone.

> And it's questionable that a
> nonprivileged program should be able to write to syslog at all.

Not questionaable at all.  required.

> A subtlety with that is that "daemon mode" in this context should
> mean actually running as a daemon, not just the command flag.  In
> particular, if it's unable to daemonize, the error to that effect
> should go to the terminal (by default, anyway).

Agreed.

> I notice that the manpage says that -d should be accompanied by -f,
> though -f isn't directly documented.  Though it wouldn't be
> unreasonable for -d without -f to go to syslog (if possible).

I'm starting to not care.  :-)

Feel free to clean up gpxlogger, after release of 3.23.

> >> Running with no args and gpsd running with no receivers exits 1
> >> with no message.
> >
> > Good, also syslog.
>
> Aside from where the message goes, I'd expect the behavior in this
> case should be to output the header and wait, in case a receiver
> appears later. But it should of course be quittable while waiting.

Yes, perfectly reasonable, except no gpsd client does that now.  So
a major update required.

> >> Running with no args and gpsd running with good fixes exits 1 with
> >> no message.
> >
> > Odd, works for me.  You do not get a valid gpx file?
>
> Nope.  This is with no args at all.

Huh, now that is my behavior as well.  This in the logs:

Aug  3 16:35:41 dilbert gpxlogger[29010]: gps_stream() failed

Since Greg Troxel is still looking for a pkgsrc issue, I'll look at this
again...

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588