gpsd-dev

Re: ✘ gpxlogger

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘ gpxlogger
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 16:26:43 -0700

Yo Fred!

On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 16:17:13 -0700 (PDT)
Fred Wright <fw@fwright.net> wrote:

> >> With the timeout it indeed now only hangs for five seconds instead
> >> of forever waiting for dbus, though ^C still has no effect as
> >> expected.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you expected?  ^C now working for me, but maybe we
> > have different tests?
>
> I mean that one has to wait for the timeout; typing ^C is ignored in
> the meantime.

Nothing we can do about that, dbus_connection_read_write_dispatch() is
blocking always blocks all signals.

Except shorten the timeout, or re-write that loop.  I looked at rewriting
that loop, and the innertubes are full of people that failed to
replace dbus_connection_read_write_dispatch().

> > Fallback was never part of the gps_mainloop() code.
>
> Sounds like another deficiency in gps_mainloop().

You say "deficiency", I say "feature request".

> Other clients
> don't have this issue.  Or do other clients not use dbus at all?

No other gpsd clients use gps_mainloop().  gpxlogger is the only one
to use DBus to get gpsd data.

> >> Indeed.  It still nees to interact better with signals.
> >
> > What exactly is failing for you?
>
> See above.  Hanging uninterruptibly for five seconds is certainly an
> improvement over hanging forever, but there's no good reason why it
> should be uninterruptible at all.

See above.  dbus_connection_read_write_dispatch() is the problem.  A
big problem.  I tried and failed to replace it.  See if you can replace it.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588