gpsd-dev

Re: gpsd Reliable and resilient tcp feed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: gpsd Reliable and resilient tcp feed
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2021 11:20:59 -0700

Yo Nick!

On Thu, 30 Sep 2021 19:03:40 +0100
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> Our requirement to use tcp feed is driven by the fact that this is a
> truck mounted solution.

Sorry, I don't follow that logic.

> The trucks are already fitted with various hardware including gps and
> the clients prefer not to add additional antenna to feed our add on
> system.

Well, once you have internet and gps, what more would you want?

> Their system is capable of providing an nmea feed over tcp which is
> what we are trying to use for these particular clients.

Does not sound resilient.

> It basically works quite well but as you can understand it's quite an
> unpredictable environment and we experience loss of tcp connection
> and thus gps.

Umm?  Why does losing your TCP mean you lose you GPS?  GPS is standalone.

> We still have option of adding some kind of gps watchdog to reconnect
> but having this built into gpsd itself would be far cleaner.

Yes.  But sounds like a different type of reconnect than before.  Before
we were talking about NTRIP inbound reconnect.  Now we are talking about
NMEA out reconnect?

> We have made some progress with improving reliability but it's a
> complex beast and I'm sure that a gpsd guru could solve much easier.

I think you need to get your problem definition improved first.

> Any takers for a contract to help us out?

I guess you did not hear me the 1st time?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588