gpsd-dev

Re: Unexpected logging from gpsd

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Unexpected logging from gpsd
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 11:36:35 -0700

Yo Mick!

On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 11:02:36 +0100
Mick <mick.durkin@makyd.me.uk> wrote:

> I recently downloaded the latest version from git, successfully
> compiled it and then started it as normal.

Cool.  What is "noromal" for you?

> All seemed well at first, but I noticed that a lot of logs were being
> written to /var/logs/messages.

Nothing new there.  That is controlled by whatever daemon you use for
system logging.

> The same basic logs over and over.

Care to share?  At the default level there should not be much, unless you
have a problem.  No way to know without seeing your logs.

> As a
> temporary fix I have created /etc/rsyslog.d/gpsd.conf which sends this
> output to a separate file.

I do similarly, especially sinec I often turn logging up way high.

> Is this logging normal,

Maybe.  Hard to say without seeing what you see.  It is also
dependant your gpsd debug level.

> do I have to set something in SConscript (or
> some other file) or has this excess logging been accidentally
> introduced in some recent change?

The only thing you can do to affect it is to change the debug level.
And fix any problems it may be showing you.

> I looked at the codebase but was unable to see why this should be so.

There is logging all over the code, but it all depends on GPSD_LOG().

> Attached is a version check, my command line and a short section from
> /var/log/messages.

Ouch:

Oct  9 19:40:28 hermes gpsd[948197]: gpsd:RAW: PPS:/dev/ttyS0 Clear categorized
1Hz leading edge

Why do you have RAW logging turned on?  That is for code debug!

There is no way that this way to start gpsd produced that log:

    $ gpsd -n /dev/ttyS0

Send us the output of gpsdebuginfo

    https://gpsd.io/gpsdebuginfo

RGDS