gpsd-dev

Re: ✘n2k and issue #176

From: Reinhard Arlt
Subject: Re: ✘n2k and issue #176
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 01:26:01 +0100

Hello,

i have learned quite a bit, since i have written the n2K code for gpsd many years ago.

And feel, that i was (at least a bit) pushed out of this group, as "my" data structures for attitude are removed from gpsd.

First a few comments:

1.) A solution to respect only n2k gps and ais messages is absolutely the wrong way. On a boat, you want to see as much info from the nmea2000 bus as possible, and convert them into JSON and nmea0183 messages.

2.) The source address a of a n2k device is static. It is only allowed to change the own address, if you lose an address claim, or your device gets a new address during an ISO address assignment.

On a proper working n2k bus, you can only lose the address claim, if a new device is added. As the address claim is broken by design (it violate a basic can rule), a restart of the bus and all devices is always a good idea, as you never know, if an other device is off bus afterwards!

I have no experience with the ISO bus, but i assume, that changing the devices on the bus will happen here more frequently.

The central problem comes form the nmea. A "normal" device on a n2k bus can always get the info of the devices on the bus with a dummy address claim. But you need a vendor id and a device id for that purpose, and the nmea charge you quite a bit for it. And even more worse, you will lose the device id, if your device is not certified after a few month.

My suggestion is: Tracking of the (j1939) address claim is not a big thing. And adding a timeout for devices, that do not send messages any longer also not.

I can write this code, but i still think, that it is not needed.

I have never seen an iso address assignment on a boat in the wild, even it is mentioned in the n2k standard as a possibility.

Kind regards

Reinhard