gpsd-dev

Re: Small problem with NMEA feed - satellites_used

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Small problem with NMEA feed - satellites_used
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2022 09:53:03 -0800

Yo Nick!

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 16:47:11 +0000
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> As threatened small prob when using the NMEA feed on a particular
> device. I think their feed is a bit sparse and only includes a couple
> of GPS phrases...

THose are a PITA.

> Attaching log, we get GPS fix fine and I believe also even ntpshmmon
> data, however satellites_used is reported as 0 from the gps_data_t
> structure in libgps.

I need the raw NMEA as well, so I can duplicate the issue locally.

But looking at the logs, I only see GGA and RMC.  No skyview at all
in your NMEA.  So almost nothing for gpsd to report.

gpsd ignores the "number of saellites used" in GGA because it seems to
always differ from what GSA/GSV says.

> We use this figure to give an indication of GPS performance so it's a
> pain if missing.

Can you turn on GSA/GSV?  Those are a much better indication of fix
qualtiy.

> Any ideas? Can it be done?

I would need a copy of your raw NMEA to see.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588