gpsd-dev

Re: NTP data when using NMEA tcp feed

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: NTP data when using NMEA tcp feed
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2022 10:33:15 -0800

Yo Nick!

On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 11:50:38 +0000
Nick Taylor <nicktaylor@dataskill.uk> wrote:

> Yo Gary
>
> >> First we had no output from ntpshmmon, created debug, then after
> >> gpsd restart was working OK
> > How can you get no output from ntpshmmon???
> >
> Only headers shown...

That haappens when gpsd is not sending time to ntpd.

I don't see the ntp.conf I asked for.

> I think I may have found a clue, ntp feed seems to stop if NMEA feed
> is interrupted and restarted

Yes.  This is known.  When gpsd talks to ntpd, it has to be root to
start the connection.  After startup gpsd drops root, so it can not
create new connections later.  Like on a "restart".

> root@TSB-318:~# ntpshmmon
> ntpshmmon: version 3.24.1~dev
> #      Name  Seen@                 Clock                 Real
>                  L Prc
> sample NTP0  1671708834.789927457  1671708834.440622388
>   1671708834.000000000 0  -1

NTP0 requires root, but gpsd drops root after startup.

> Please feel free to leave this until the New Year if you wish...

I'm not going to let it affect the upcoming release.  OTOH, I lost
3 SSDs and a 3kVA UPS last week, so that is slowing me down.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588