gpsd-dev

Re: release?

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: release?
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2022 00:57:17 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 30 Dec 2022, Gary E. Miller wrote:

I'm not hearing much about testing.  Anyone testing?  Anyone need more
time before a release?

End of year isn't the best time for such things. :-)

I didn't see any issues with build/check on a wide variety of platforms. But the skyview spasticity is still present. It can be seen with cgps, xgps, or xgpsspeed (xgps being the most obvious). I'm using a uBlox M9N
receiver with a multi-system antenna.

With the 3.24 xgps (and the latest gpsd), both Sats Seen and Sats Used toggle between zero and values that are probably correct. With the current xgps (and still the latest gpsd), Sats Used is reasonably stable (varying a bit as one would expect; right now ~18), but Sats Seen toggles between two very different values (right now 32 vs. 40), where the larger is probably correct. This correlates with whether the last JSON displayed in the middle pane is SKY or TPV (toggling at 1Hz), and the more complete version occurs when the last JSON was SKY. The graphical display has several satellites blinking on and off correspondingly. The baud rate is 19200, which may affect the duty cycle, but probably not the conceptual behavior.

I also just noticed now that, in addition to the length of the satellite list toggling, the vakues in the prRes column also toggle, with the bad values being mostly zeroes.

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to reproduce this with a similar setup, which I believe you have. I could capture a logfile, but I don't think there's a way to replay a logfile with recorded timing, and the timing probably matters in this case.

I see similar issues with gpsmon, but that seems to be operating in NMEA mode, and the xxGSV code really needs a major overhaul to handle multi-system receivers correctly. The ugly kludge for the specific case of GPS+GLONASS just doesn't cut it.

Fred Wright