gpsd-dev

Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 20:33:57 +0100

Yo!

> > AFAICT AF_UNIX is already used for the control socket.
>
> Yes.  Your point?

That I did my grep, AF_UNIX is not total weirdness, and that Android
does not use it.

> Why do you think you need to keep root?

I don't. Debugging hack, will remove for submission.

> > > Why did the current gpsd/android not need to do this?
> >
> > I'm not familiar with Android, but I'm pretty sure they are not using
> > gnss-share.
>
> So you are not on Android?  I guess I am lost...

I'm on PureOs, which is Debian variant for Librem 5 smartphone. But it
needs gnss-share for geoclue, and I need gpsd for foxtrotgps. Hence my patch.

> > > Got any doc on what this scoket looks like?
> >
> > It carries usual NMEA data. It is very similar to TCP socket, but it
> > uses filename, not IP+port number. That way, filesystem permissions
> > can be used to limit who can see the NMEA data.
>
> If it is NMEA, can you just open it like a file?  Can gpsd also write to
> it?

I don't think gpsd can take output from a file or pipe, it only worked
with ptyXX or ttyXX in my testing. AF_UNIX can not be simply opened.

I believe Clayton answered other questions.

Should I proceed with cleaning up the code and adding documentation
for new option?

Is it okay to submit patch through the list or do I need to somehow
create pull request on https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gpsd/ or
...?

Thanks and best regards,

                                                                        Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.