gpsd-dev

Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: [RFC] get gpsd to work with gnss-share
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 22:02:52 +0100

Hi!

> > The real value in gnss-share is that it can
> > perform any arbitrary setup for specific devices, or interrupt them
> > to do things like load a-gps, etc. It also supports any number of
> > clients connected to the socket at once all receiving the same
> > unaltered data from the module.
>
> I find A-GPS near useless with the most modern devices.  Until recently
> the vendors refused to even document the process.

It really depends on antena quality etc. PinePhone has very bad GPS
reception, and Librem 5 is not too great either (there may be hardware
improvements pending in that case). A-GPS should be useful there. On
many phones GPS reception is not really useful without A-GPS, as noone
tested that variant.

> > > So you are not on Android?  I guess I am lost...
> >
> > No, this is postmarketOS, but there are other Linux distros (so far I
> > know of PureOS too) that are not Android that also use gnss-share.
>
> Would have been helpful to have known that up front.  No context was
> given in the original request.

Sorry about that.

> Echoed char by char?  Sentence by sentence?  Buffered?
>
> > $PSTMCPU,60.50,-1,49*4C

> Proprietary sentence.  Got any doc on that?  ST Micro?

Actually yes, I can find docs on that; but this is not really
gnss-share specific, but specific to the hardware it runs on.

This sentence is documented here:
https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_manual/um2229-teseoliv3-gnss-module--software-manual-stmicroelectronics.pdf
...but I'm not sure if this is exact module we have.

> > $GPGGA,xxxxxx,xxxx.xxxxx,N,xxxx.xxxxxx,W,0,00,99.0,025.15,M,0.0,M,,*7B
>
> I can't run tests on corrupted data like that.

Should I gather longer logs?

Anyway, gnss-share will provide whatever data kernel provides it, so
logs will be valid for Librem 5, but gnss-share will likely be used on
other hardware, too.

Best regards,
                                                                Pavel

--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.