gpsd-dev

Re: My ignorance was Re: ✘64-bit time_t on glibc 2.34 and up

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: My ignorance was Re: ✘64-bit time_t on glibc 2.34 and up
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 12:38:16 -0800

Yo James!

On Fri, 13 Jan 2023 08:49:34 -0800 (PST)
James Browning <jamesb192@jamesb192.com> wrote:

> > This makes my head hurt...
>
> IIRC there are a few users of those interfaces; linuxptp, gpsd,
> classic NTP, NTPsec, and chrony.

Multiplied by the number of distros that carry each, and update on their
own schedules.  Did you hear the FAA NOTAM system that crashed yesterday
runs on Sun Solaris?

> I would jokingly suggest
> something like the following as a replacement.

We can't really replace, it would have to be in parallel, and hope the
old one dies out before 2038.  I prefer Richard's idea.

> Purely based on
> the misassumption that SHM internally works on page-sized blocks

Wrong assumption.  Can we stick to nown facts?

> and probably via POSIX shared memory which would allow names.

If we add a 3rd time transfer method, I'd rather go with sockets, like
gpsd now talks to chronyd.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588