gpsd-dev

Re: v2.53 cat-ms352 regression test fails on x86 platform

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: v2.53 cat-ms352 regression test fails on x86 platform
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2023 13:06:55 -0800

Yo Nathan!

On Wed, 08 Feb 2023 15:36:35 -0500
Nathan Angelacos <nangel@tetrasec.net> wrote:

> > I'll bet if you run gpsd with the -D4 logging you get a message like
> > this one:
> >
> >     gpsd: WARN: __STDC_IEC_559__ is 0, s/b 1
> >
> > Or worse:
> >
> >     gpsd: WARN: __STDC_IEC_559__ is missing.
>
> Nope. But I get
>
> gpsd:WARN: FLT_EVAL_METHOD is 2, s/b 0

That means IEEE 754 not compliant with C99 (and hogher) Appendix F.

The gpsd regressions will never pass.

> On x86_64, FLT_EVAL_METHOD is 0.

Good.

> Thanks for the pointer! So far I haven't been able to coax gcc to set
> FLT_EVAL_METHOD to 0 on a i586. The best thing I saw on a forum was
> "nobody cares about x86 anymore."  I tend to agree.

This often happens do to a bad combination of CFLAGS.  It may be
possible if the glibc is sane, to fix it for gpsd.  If libc is complied
badly, then you need to compile it properly.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588