gpsd-dev

Re: Request new serial name support for ubxtool and pygpsclient

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: Request new serial name support for ubxtool and pygpsclient
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2023 20:28:31 -0500

"Kuo, Danny" <danny.kuo@intel.com> writes:

> Thanks for comments, Intel did few debug already,
> 1. with "-p" flag on gpsd cli the gpsd can access to the device /dev/gnss*.
> But the "-p" flag is not necessary to old driver on /dev/ttyGNSS*
> 2. with "-p" on gpsd, the ubxtool can work
> 3. some APIs like stty, gpsctl, gpsmon shows ioctl error, this is not happen
> on old driver /dev/ttyGNSS*
>
> So, my quest is:
> Is this relate to the serial name /dev/gnss* not in gpsd code or it is relate
> to the write access to the device /dev/gnss*

I think you are going about this backwards.  Your system has a
"/dev/gnss" device, but you don't what it is or how it is supposed to
behave.  It seems to be different than a serial port to the receiver, is
all we can tell.

So, I think you need to find a software engineer who can figure this out
and look at the source code.   Because they will be solving your
problem, and not  a problem of general interest, my guess is that you'll
have to pay them to do this :-)  However, I expect Intel has quite a
large number of people who can do this already on staff, so you should
be able to find one.

You haven't posted the sources to everything you are dealing with,
including what is apparently a modified Linux kernel or a driver/module.
It doesn't make sense technically that anyone could understand without
that.