gpsd-users

[gpsd-users] debugging apparent lack of multiconstellation support

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: [gpsd-users] debugging apparent lack of multiconstellation support
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2019 18:19:08 -0700

I've built myself a Raspberry Pi-based handheld GPS device, and am
having lots of fun. Thanks to those on this list who have helped to
create and maintain this useful piece of software. My own client
software is here
  https://github.com/bcrowell/brownie
and my hardware is described here:
  https://www.instructables.com/id/Handheld-GPS-With-EInk-Display/

One of my goals for this project was multiconstellation support, but
it seems like that is not working. The purpose of this email is to
ask for pointers about diagnosing or fixing this.

My reason for thinking that multiconstellation is not working is that
when I look at some sample gpsd_json data records from my receiver,
the PRN always seems to be in the range from 1 to 64.

Lack of hardware support? I have a ublox NEO-6M chip.

Out of date software? I have gpsd 3.16.

Need to turn on some feature? I notice that in the gpsd_json documentation
at https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/gpsd_json.html , there are a lot of fields
in the "satellite" class that say "no" under "Always?" Is there some way to
turn these on? E.g., the records I get don't have gnssid fields. I wonder
if this means that there are features, including multiconstellation support,
that I just need to turn on somehow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

  Ben Crowell